Friday 14 June 2013

Celebrating the Struggles: Final Blog Reflection

 I am beginning to write this blog on my last night here in Monteverde. Earlier this evening I enjoyed a wonderful dinner with my family where I shared my favorite experiences of my visit to Costa Rica with them and copied recipes from my Mama Tica on typical Costa Rican (comida tipica) dishes.  After helping with the dishes and doing some packing, my host family and I watched the Costa Rica v. Honduras soccer futbol game.  During the game we joked, laughed, and of course got very involved in the game!

CPI in San Jaquain

It’s hard to believe that just two weeks ago I had just met this family and have been in Costa Rica for over a month.  My attitude and confidence in my Spanish usage has completely changed as well as my ability to adapt and immerse myself into a completely unknown culture.  I plan on writing this final reflection over a period of about a week after my trip to Costa Rica so that I am fully able to process and reflect on my trip and write as insightfully as I can.
 
3rd weekend in La Fortuna

Friday, June 14th---

Well, it’s been almost a week since I have been back in the States and still feel as though I haven’t fully processed my time in Costa Rica!  Around this time seven days ago my final Spanish class was wrapping up with over 65 hours of Spanish instruction completed.  Wow! I feel accomplished for the amount of Spanish I learned as well my daily application of my new vocabulary.



Small group work in Cloud Forest School 

 Evidence of sustainability within school curriculum! 


Because I’m not really sure how to begin reflecting on my experience as a whole (and because former blog posts touched on outstanding thoughts I had during the trip) I will give several bullet points on the most important things I took away from this immersion trip in regards to my future as an educator:

·         Importance of hospitality
o   As described in a blog post, one of the reasons my experience was so great was because of the hospitality my host family demonstrated
o   As a future teacher, I need to make sure my students are comfortable in my classroom before learning can occur
·         Learning through experience
o   New understanding and appreciation for “Demonstration, Not Translation” method of teaching ELLs
o   I learned how to expand the 5E lesson format beyond just the subject of science
·         Allowing yourself out of your comfort zone
o   Life really does begin at the end of your comfort zone!
o   I was out of my comfort zone nearly my entire time in Costa Rica
o   I believe you get the most meaningful learning when you experience new things and temporary discomfort
·         Importance of health
o   Visit to La Carpio really demonstrated the importance of health
o   These people feel unhealthy every day
o   Their health effects their mindset, their job, and their education
·         Uncertainty is OKAY
o   As humans, we don’t always need  answers
o   Let go of constant control—learn the Tico lifestyle
·         Taking away differences from the same, similar experience
o   Each of us students took away different thoughts and lessons from the places we visited
·         Learning is HARD!
o   Celebrate the struggles your students will have in their learing
o   Learning isn’t always fun
o   Meaningful learning comes from the times you struggled to understand, apply, and master a concept

Zip lining in Santa Elena!



Before my trip to Costa Rica, I hadn’t really given much thought to how I will interact and teach my future ELL students. My reasoning has gone beyond “fun” learning and learning that only occurs with a similar language.  Now, I realize that learning is a process that occurs through a series of steps and varied efforts.  Although I will most likely not be proficient in my ELL’s native language, I will do my best to communicate with them in any way to engage them and inspire their learning.


PURA VIDA! 


 





1 comment: