Wednesday 29 May 2013

Demonstration, Not Translation- Calle Hernandez Primary School Experience



Visiting and teaching in Costa Rican schools has by far been my favorite portion of this study away trip. I wasn’t sure what to expect while working and observing within Costa Rican schools but I am so grateful for my time at Calle Hernandez primary school and I value my interactions with students. 

My experience within Calle Hernandez primary school immediately started off positively because of the welcoming debriefing we received from Dina, a teacher at this school.  Dina spoke English and was the Enlgish school at the school. Dina gave us the demographics of the school, problems that the public school system here in Costa Rica face, and challenges she personally faces daily in her own classroom at Calle Hernandez. 


We visited Calle Hernandez primary school on Tuesday, May 21st and Thursday, May 23rd during the morning hours. On Tuesday, we gave a lesson to a small group of students on parts of the body while pairing up with a fellow study away student.  As we were assigned two fourth grade students on Tuesday and a third grade student on Thursday, I tried to put myself into their shoes.  I thought of the possible fear and anxiety they would be feeling as they were paired off to learn a foreign language with a non-Spanish speaking, strange looking gringa.  To counteract their possible worries, I tried my best to give welcoming smiles, introduce myself enthusiastically in Spanish to them, and get on their height level when speaking to them.


Giving a lesson on describing words to my student Angelica.



I faced some initial challenges when teaching the lessons on both Tuesday and Thursday.  It was important for me to try and grasp how much English my students knew, what type of learning style they preferred, and techniques used to make them feel as comfortable as possible.  When I would ask a student to complete a task related to the lesson I was teaching, often times they would not understand my English direction and appear frustrated. 

To conquer this issue and overcome the language barrier, I started to use Dina’s motto of “Demonstration, not Translation”. I began to demonstrate the task I desired to my students.  After I demonstrated, students would try the task.  Sometimes, this required guidance. Eventually, my students could complete a task individually and take ownership of their learning, progress, and outcomes.  Demonstration was done by drawing pictures, walking around the school grounds and examining objects, repeating English words, and palying charades.


Fourth grade classroom



 Implementing a demonstrative style of teaching proved to be not only effective for my students, but also fun for them!  My students loved being able to move around, compare objects in nature, and act out what they were learning to their peers.  The joy I felt watching my ELL students learn and demonstrate their material was indescribable and a feeling I want to remember each and every day in my future classroom. 

I am proud of the persistence, bravery, and positive learning attitudes of my students at Calle Hernandez primary school.  The work and effort of Dina is outstanding and she serves as a great resource for not only her students and their parents, but also for us MSU and UNC-W students as well. I am grateful for her motto of “Demonstration, Not Translation” and have implemented this teaching and learning technique countless times since my visit to Calle Hernandez!



No comments:

Post a Comment