Wednesday 29 May 2013

Mid-Travel Thoughts

5/29/13

Today marks the halfway point of my study away trip here in Costa Rica.  At this point, I feel very immersed into the Costa Rican/ tican lifestyle and culture.  I met my second host family on Sunday evening and couldn’t be happier with homestay.  The family is kind and makes every effort to make me feel like a member of the family.  My mama tica is a nurse at a clinic several minutes up the road and the father works at a butterfly garden in town and as a bartender.  They have four children, two that live at home.  Jose is 11 and attends the Cloud Forest school where he has become very proficient in English.  Natalia (Nati) is 16 and attends the public high school and is training to become a chef. 

Meet Jose!

At this point, I am feeling a variety of emotions.  I am feeling thankful for a wonderful host family in the beautiful town of Santa Elenta.  The views are breathtaking and I am getting plenty of exercise from walking up and down hills all day!  I am enjoying the company of my classmates from MSU and have really liked getting to know the UNC-W students.  I feel blessed to have the opportunity to work so closely with students in Costa Rican schools and find it very interesting to learn more about the public school system here.  During the available free time we have, I enjoy wandering about Santa Elena and seeing as much of the area that I can. 


My host family loves Michael Jackson Wii dancing games and their yellow lab, China!



On the other end of the spectrum I am starting to feel a bit worn down.  Early mornings and long afternoons of Spanish classes are beginning to feel draining and have appeared to take an effect on the positivity of us students as a whole.  I wasn’t anticipating that four hours of Spanish classes would be as difficult to get through daily.  The lack of down time our group has coupled with the lack of internet access has left me frustrated and wanting to sort of “shut down” a few times.  Having basically unlimited Internet/Wifi access in the States has made me forget how convenient and easy it is to access information at any time.  Getting homework done and completing research is very difficult when none of us can connect to the Internet at our homestays or CPI.

I am curious to know how the reminder of the trip will be.  I am wondering how much further my Spanish will progress and how much further “immersed” I will feel into the Costa Rican culture. 


Typical Costa Rican meal- arroz con pollo (rice and chicken). Yum!



No comments:

Post a Comment