Wednesday 22 May 2013

Pre-travel Thoughts


5/17/2013

I feel extremely blessed and privileged to be able to participate in this short-term study away program through Missouri State University and University of North Carolina-Wilmington.  This trip abroad still seems very surreal to me although I am fully packed and waiting between flights at O’Hare airport in Chicago right now.

When this study away program was initially presented to me back in November, it seemed like a far off dream that was not going to be very realistic for me.  I am so excited that I am able to participate in a once in a lifetime opportunity immersing myself into another culture and language.  I’ve never traveled out of the United States and most of the traveling I have done has been tourism-oriented anyways.  I have desired to study abroad during my college years and this trip is an ideal fit for my course work, graduation date, and financial means. 

As of now, the biggest concerns I have is the language barrier once I arrive.  I am concerned with how I will communicate with my host family about meal times, operating their showers, and letting them know where I will be and at what time.  Other than those concerns I am only slightly worried about what I packed and hoping it’s enough/ not too much. 

I hope to gain cultural insight into Latin American countries while I am in Costa Rica. I am looking forward to picking my Spanish back up and being able to communicate with not only my host family and Spanish professor but with members of surrounding community as well. I hope to become more sensitive and aware of the struggles and obstacles that English Language Learners face and strategies to empathize with them and reach them academically.  Overall, it is my hope that this immersion trip will better prepare me for my career as an elementary educator and facilitator of meaningful learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment